Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thanksgiving Weekend!!

 On Friday I was starting to feel a bit homesick thinking about my family going to the cottage for Thanksgiving weekend. This is the first year in many that I would not be going with them. Thankfully, we had a lot going on here this weekend which made this weekend much more bearable!

On Friday we left for a Teacher's Retreat to a retreat center at the top of the mountain in Tegucigalpa. IST has this retreat every year for the purpose of the teachers to get to know one another better and to develop relationships between the Honduran and North American teachers.

The weekend was great! On Friday night we enjoyed a dinner, a time of worship, a talent show, and a bonfire. On Saturday we woke up VERY early at 7am for breakfast followed by a time of worship again in which I had the priviledge to help lead by playing keyboard. Afterward we spent the next couple hours in free time where many teachers played sports and many of us sat outside on a blanket and played Catch Phrase! Love that game! We ended the weekend with lunch and made our way back home on the bus by 2:00.

On Saturday evening, Alex, Nichole's boyfriend made us the most delicious Honduran dinner ever! It was amazing! It took him 2.5 hours to prepare and we were all so hungry, but it was totally worth the wait!!!

After church on Sunday I sat outside and enjoyed sitting in the sun while doing some work and then had the best surprise ever! As I was thinking about my family eating thanksgiving dinner back home today, my roomates were busy preparing me an authentic Canadian Thanksgiving dinner- love them! At 6:00, the table was set up- and there I saw stuffing, chicken, broccoli, mashed potatoes, gravy, salad, and pumpkin pie! I was so suprised! Apparently while I was at the retreat they were organizing all this for me! The dinner was delicious- and they totally made my day! Thank you Kaitlyn, Nichole, Caitlin, and Sage!

I'm so thankful today for all that the Lord has blessed me with in my life- for my family back home who loves me and prays for me; for my new experience in Honduras and all the blessings that have come from that- awesome roomates, my students, the opportunity to teach, and experience a new culture. I am so thankful for everything the Lord has blessed me with! God is so good!

1 comment: