Sunday, September 12, 2010

Update!

So I think its about time for a new blog post... I am new at the whole blogging thing so I am not exactly faithful in my postings, but I am working on it...

The past 2 weeks here have flown! Its amazing that I have only been in Honduras for a month and it feels like I have been here forever. I already feel quite comfortable in my surroundings and in my position as a teacher here at IST. When I reflect on the past month I can't believe the experiences I have already gained...

  • meeting 30+ teachers
  • trying out LOTS of different restaurants... haven't been dissappointed yet!
  • visiting El Picacho (see pictures)
  • teaching my own class of 21 students
  • living with 2 new awesome roomates
  • walking around my neighbourhood and learning my way around
  • taking numerous taxi rides around the city (some with drivers I hope I will never meet again)
  • going to at least 4 different malls in the city
  • celebrating 5 birthdays
  • attending a Spanish speaking church
  • attending a Central American dance class (I swear you can hear the music from a mile away)
  • riding in a city bus (none like the ones in Ontario- you squeeze at least 2x the amount of people in these ones)
  • Children's Day (a day held in honor of children here in Honduras)
I feel so blessed to be here in Honduras and am really enjoying all the experiences that I have already had here! I am so thankful for the people I have met, the children that I teach, and for the safety I have in my well protected house! Each day here is a gift, and when I hear about what all goes on in this country I find myself so thankful for all that I have been blessed with.

There are children in my school whose family members have died from Dengue (a disease transferred from mosquitoes), children whose parents have been murdered or family members who have passed on from landslides and other natural disasters. Not too far from home are people trying to survive on the streets and find enough food to live by. It really opens my eyes to how ungrateful I am even when I have so much- and reminds me of the need to pray for people in Honduras and around the globe who are experiencing real suffering and loss.

Please keep the people of Honduras, my students, and myself in your prayers this week!

1 comment:

  1. WILL DO JEN! I miss you and think of you all of the time! Who knows, maybe Paul and I will come out to visit you next year :)

    ReplyDelete